Diamond CBD

The Lovings: A Case For Freedom

Image result for mildred and richard loving house
Photograph by Grey Villet.
My parents were born in the South. So was I, but like many families we migrated westward to an opposite coast to live better lives. I was raised in a California in a very conservative, Christian household and for a while grew up very naive about many things, but never was I taught how not to love others. Growing up in Cali, diversity is a given. I lived among people of many cultures and nationalities who would share their lives and experiences who also became my friends. I never much had to endure what my parents did back home, for that I am grateful. I never adopted prejudice based on racial bigotry.


I don't believe in color blindness. It makes no sense to me, however, it has no bearing on how I treat and respect others, because we all are more interesting in our differences. I know if we had remained in the South I would have been affected another way, altogether different. I love being a southern girl at heart, but bigotry of the southern past still lingers like stink on boo-boo. It takes an open heart and mind to change buried down institutions. For change to happen it takes patience and persistence. I'm so glad "she" was fought for and won.

Image result for richard and mildred loving public domain
American Constitution Societ

Racism and segregation of the South was not so long ago. It still is today, but not as blatant, of course, as in the 1950s on into the 1960s when there remained separate bathrooms, fountains to drink from and places to eat or reside. Legal racism made criminal marriage between loving couples of different racial backgrounds subject to imprisonment, and their children illegitimate in the eyes of the law.

Appropriately named, the story, "Loving," The story of Mildred and Richard Loving tells how they courageously dared to defy the law, which banned interracial (black/white...) marriages and deemed their children bastards. The Loving's took their case all the way to the Supreme Court to reverse the law, in a fight to live free and have their marriage and family validated in their home state of Virginia.

It was just fifty years ago when the United States Supreme Court unanimously decided and ruled in case of Loving v. Virginia:
"Marriage is one of the “basic civil rights of man,” fundamental to our very existence and survival. … Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State."
They won. We "all" won from their victory. Our government can no longer exercise rule over this fundamental right. This is one of many reasons why we must continue to fight for and uphold everyone's civil rights and liberties. We should all find a way to be "Loving."
American Foundation for Equal Rights - YouTube

I enjoyed watching, Loving this weekend. Have you seen the film? Check it out. I'd like to hear what you think.

                                 Sources: (Youtube & Focus Features)

The Lovings: A Case For Freedom The Lovings: A Case For Freedom Reviewed by Frankinscience on August 07, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

I ask in your comments that you be respectful and exhibit the decorum of courtesy to others on this blog. Failure to do so will result in removal (blocked) of your participation here. All comments are subject to review by the administrator of this site.

Vibes

Powered by Blogger.